Office: Glass Building of Faculty of Sciences, West Wing, 3rd Floor, Room 3.10
Office Hours: @-schedule
Phone Number: +302310997959
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Ethnikon & Kapodistriakon Panepistimion Athinon, Athens, 2008
- Doctoral Thesis Subject: Probability and Statistics
- Doctoral Thesis Title: Variance bounds in terms of derivatives/differences up to some order
- Supervisor: Prof. Papadatos Nickos
- M.Sc. in Statistics and Operations Research, Ethnikon & Kapodistriakon Panepistimion Athinon, Athens, 2004
- B.Sc. in Mathematics, Ethnikon & Kapodistriakon Panepistimion Athinon, Athens, 2001
- Assistant Professor, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, July 2018 – Today
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, University at Buffalo, USA, February 2018 – Today
- Research Associate, University at Buffalo, USA, November 2015 – January 2018
- Post Doctoral, University at Buffalo, USA, August 2014 – October 2015
- Visitor Lecturer, University of Cyprus, January 2014 – May 2014
- External Associate, Ethnikon & Kapodistriakon Panepistimion Athinon, January 2012 – February 2013
- External Associate, Athens University of Economics and Business, October 2011 – November 2013
- Visitor Lecturer, University of Cyprus, January 2009 – December 2010
- Families of Distributions
- Orthogonal Polynomials
- Covariance Identities
- Variance Bounds
- Distances Between Distributions
- Asymptotic Statistics
- Cross Validation Estimation
- Model Selection Procedures
- Measures of dependence
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Afendras, G., Papadatos, N. and Papathanasiou, V. (2011). An extended Stein-type covariance identity for the Pearson family, with applications to lower variance bounds. Bernoulli, 17(2), 507–529.
- Afendras, G. (2013). Unified extension of variance bounds for integrated Pearson family. Ann. Inst. Stat. Math., 65, 687–702.
- Afendras, G. and Papadatos, N. (2014). Strengthened Chernoff-type variance bounds. Bernoulli, 20(1), 245–264.
- Afendras, G. and Markatou, M. (2016). Uniform Integrability of OLS Estimators, and the Convergence of their Moments. TEST, 25(4), 775–784.
- Afendras, G., Balakrishnan, N. and Papadatos, N. (2018). On orthogonal polynomials in the cumulative Ord family and its applications to variance bounds. Statistics, 52(2), 364–392.
- Afendras, G. and Markatou, M. (2019). Optimality of Training/Test Size and Resampling Effectiveness in Cross-Validation. J. Statist. Plann. Inference, 199(C), 286–301.